RESULTS OF THE NYWC 2021 SEED MONEY GRANTS
Presenting the winners of our 2021 Seed Money Grants! We have awarded seven grants, two foreign and five domestic. One grant is in a disseminated format, and the rest are focused grants.
1) Jeremy Huw Williams, baritone , with Paula Fan, accompanist (disseminated format). Mr. Williams is a well-known Welsh baritone whose thirty-year career has featured performances both in concert and on CDs of many women composers. He has toured widely throughout the world, including Europe, Asia, and North America and will be undertaking a new tour this fall starting in the US and Canada. http://jeremyhuwwilliams.com
2) Quintocracy Wind Quintet, (focused concert): Quintocracy is an established wind quintet based in the Capital District of New York State that presents concerts throughout that area and beyond. It is comprised of flutist Melanie Chirignan, oboist Kelly Lockwood, clarinetist Michael Dee, hornist Kathryn Svatek, and a bassoonist who is currently a guest. https://www.quintocracy.com/.
3) Canta Libre Chamber Ensemble (focused concert) Canta Libre, a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, was founded in 2002 by flutist Sally Shorrock to foster the performance and enjoyment of musical literature specifically written for flute, strings and harp. Canta Libre’s members are Sally Shorrock, flute, Bradley Bosenbeck, violin, Veronica Salas, viola, Bernard Tamosaitis, cello and Karen Lindquist, harp. https://www.cantalibre.org
4) Joel Braun, double bassist (focused concert): Joel Braun is Associate Professor of Double Bass at the University of Texas at Austin. As an orchestral musician he has performed with many of the world’s leading orchestras, including the New York Philharmonic. http://www.joelbraunbass.com/
5) Aram Tchobanian, tenor (focused concert with additional performances): Tenor Aram Tchobanian, in an ensemble including Adam Kent, pianist, Anna Tonna, mezzo-soprano, and the 2Flutes ensemble, plans to present “The Faucon,” a vocal and chamber music concert that intends to be a tribute to mid-20th century and contemporary composers, by showcasing works inspired by “mystical” poems as well as texts from the Middle English and Elizabethan poets. https://www.conbrioensemble.org/aram-tchobanian-tenor
6) Hypercube Ensemble (focused concert): A quartet of saxophone, guitar, piano and percussion, HYPERCUBE embraces the boundaries of chamber music, at home in both electric and acoustic worlds. This group of gritty NYC musicians formed with the goal of performing high quality, cutting-edge, challenging repertoire that is often underperformed. The members of HYPERCUBE are Erin Rogers (saxophones), Jay Sorce (classical and electric guitar), Andrea Lodge (piano and accordion), and Chris Graham (percussion). http://www.hypercubemusic.org/
7) Marsyas Trio (focused concert): The Marsyas Trio is the UK’s leading flute, cello, and piano ensemble. They have several CDs to their credit and a long history of performing music by women. In the past year they have established a successful online series with an audience of over 5000 views. http://www.marsyastrio.com/